On Carrie White And High Functioning Autism

Psychology-related discussions or questions that don't fit neatly into any other forum.
Fulgurator

On Carrie White And High Functioning Autism

Post by Fulgurator »

I loved the 1970s movie - Carrie - except I think the end bit was overdone. Stephen King based the Carrie White character on someone real he knew from school and I thought his movie depiction really serves as a decent portrayal of Asperger Syndrome, or H.F.A.
Here's a great quote I found from someone else who had this impression:

"Returning to the subject in his introduction to my edition of Carrie, he (King) suggests that this was a something (Carrie White) “that broadcast STRANGE! NOT LIKE US! KEEP AWAY!”
King speculates that this broadcast occupied a “wavelength only other kids can pick up”, but I’m not so sure people ever grow out of that receptiveness. They may learn to respond to it less unkindly, but they still sense it. There is even a word for the experience of sensing unplaceable difference: 'uncanny'”.White

Totally perceptive! Definitely people will pick up on this type of autism very quickly. Those who claim to "come out" and self-identify shouldn't need to do so because Asperger's is as obvious as it was in Carrie.
There were, of course, the more obvious factors. King depicted Carrie as very naieve, clumsy and fumbling, head down as if hiding and sitting by herself in the library, reading books on the paranormal. Totally hopeless at sports. It's almost the case the Carrie Whites of the world only provoke antagonism but, accurately, in the film there are people who show compassion and take her side. So, by my experience, those with H.F.A. create various responses but the main point is they do get noticed.
Crucial point raised by the blogger: Part of the perception of not being "socially programmed" I agree is like a kind of frequency that's off the mainstream norm.

"Sed ille iustus in deferendo honore ac servando modus est ei qui est suffragator bonorum et malorum subiugator, ut semper in civitate emineant, quae sunt omnibus profutura, iaceant et subiecta sint cum suis auctoribus vitia. "

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... ned-it-all
Fulgurator

Re: On Carrie White And High Functioning Autism

Post by Fulgurator »

I did so much research into social programming, firstly in clinical psychology but now also looking into philosophy. I recall being quite amazed how people were rushing into shops months ago, demanding to buy toilet rolls, simply because they'd seen Americans on the media doing the same. Logically, I thought if a mass contagion threatened my survival, concerns over whether newspaper made any difference seemed trivial. Why not buy tinned foods if the world is supposed to be in dire danger? No, the truth is people over here were just copying lots of very insecure Americans and sped to the shops.
When you're not socially programmed and when all that programming somehow fails, neurotypical people around feel either insecure, puzzled or guarded. Logically, such a person seems to be a weak link in the chain or "foreign body" as Asperger wrote. However, even if very many people who have Aspergers tend to be unsuccessful (if the clinical symptoms outweigh any compensation attributes), without autism we would never evolve. People would all think the same and follow the masses.
Candid

Post by Candid »

Fulgurator wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:42 pm Logically, I thought if a mass contagion threatened my survival...
Mike Yeadon says a mass contagion is biologically impossible.
I trust Mike Yeadon.
If I can find the video I saw I'll post it here. It's possible I already have. That would be on The Black Pill thread.
quietvoice

Post by quietvoice »

Candid wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:09 am
Fulgurator wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:42 pm Logically, I thought if a mass contagion threatened my survival...
Contagion is:
the communication of disease from one person to another by close contact.
No such thing exists. And so, necessarily, mass contagion does not exist.

"Disease" does not exist, as such. What is called disease is merely the effect of lifestyle and behavior. If one's lifestyle and behavior takes them into realms of toxins and poisons, they will realize the effects of the toxins/poisons. No one can catch someone else's effects.
quietvoice

Post by quietvoice »

Fulgurator wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:42 pm without autism we would never evolve.
~
Perhaps, if one can see that childhood vaccines are the cause of autism, their thinking would evolve to noticing that vaccines are poison.
Fulgurator

Post by Fulgurator »

I can only point out the risks people are taking following these (usually American) self-appointed experts. We do get viruses although the reason tends to be stress, poor housing or warfare. The smallpox epidemic killed thousands in the later Roman Empire under Marcus Aurelius.
I agree with you the Covid issue was exaggerated and led to sheer panic but that's no reason to dismiss science. When we do choose to challenge an established theory, we need to study biology (as the Lorenzo parents did in the movie). Too many people are simply following these American quacks. My apologies of course if this name you quoted isn't the usual American blogster sat behind a screen.
Candid wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:09 am
I trust Mike Yeadon.
If I can find the video I saw I'll post it here. It's possible I already have. That would be on The Black Pill thread.
Fulgurator

Post by Fulgurator »

Childhood vaccines are not the cause of autism except in a few cases perhaps. We need to understand first how autism is defined. Mine appears to be genetic from my mother's side but not the same as physiological delay and probably not caused by a brain infection (encephalitis). Autism tends mostly to be genetic - see Krestchmer's studies of family lines or G Suhareva. In fact it's very difficult to diagnose, say, Early Infantile Autism from Asperger Syndrome.
Two people with autism can seem the same yet be totally different. One of the Asperger cases had encephalitis and was featured purely to show how similar that was to the syndrome discussed.
Fulgurator

Post by Fulgurator »

Candid, I apologise. Fortunately the name you quoted isn't an American quack but seems more credible. I still go with the established science, however. After all established science contradicts the whole Covid position, namely that vaccines need to be tested over prolonged periods and never rushed through.
Fulgurator

Post by Fulgurator »

"Disease" does not exist, as such. What is called disease is merely the effect of lifestyle and behavior."

You have a point. Neo Platonist's tend to associate mind and body as very connected. A lot of people fall ill due to stress, lack of sleep or imbalance - according to Platonism.
Fulgurator

Post by Fulgurator »

Quiet Voice (Vox Quieta) would probably like the "theory of forms". That is, all physical phenomena (even illness) has a non-material, conceptual equivalent. So, a solid ball or hoop is just a physical representation of a perfect geometrical circle that exists mathematically. From that all reality as we see it is just the representation of concepts:

"These Forms are the essences of various objects: they are that without which a thing would not be the kind of thing it is. For example, there are countless tables in the world but the Form of tableness is at the core; it is the essence of all of them.Plato's Socrates held that the world of Forms is transcendent to our own world (the world of substances) and also is the essential basis of reality."