Thinking Dominated By Emotions And Feelings

Psychology-related discussions or questions that don't fit neatly into any other forum.
Fulgurator

Thinking Dominated By Emotions And Feelings

Post by Fulgurator »

This amazes me - how 90 per cent of the population relies so much on emotion. We all know emotions must exist for a reason but here my conclusion is emotions are more a family and social mechanism. They are not, however, reliable if we aspire to interpret reality. That is, cause and effect, cause and solution, or how to solve problems.
Let's use Covid as an example: While the vast majority of people locked their doors, wore gloves, spread accusations and even panic, the logical individual who trusts in his, or her, intellect will attempt to piece together some probable reality. So, we try to find a variety of hopefully reliable information - not just trusting anyone who claims to be an expert. We keep some healthy cynicism and beware of following the herd, even those herds that hold opposite views. Like the Lorenzo parents we weigh up cold, hard facts. Of course, we can still make mistakes even as you do in a chess game but that's better than trusting in emotions, feelings, "likes" or following the easy path of the majority.
Fulgurator

Re: Thinking Dominated By Emotions And Feelings

Post by Fulgurator »

Part of it comes much easier for me since emotionally I'm pathologically impaired. My emotions don't work the same as normal people and also the emotional blockade forced my intellect to compensate. So, just the basic rules of how to be polite, I had to learn them like a set rule. I never felt what the right thing to say should be. I don't handle intimacy or communicative empathy. This isn't that healthy a condition worth boasting about (it's pathological) if you adapt by using your logical mind, it does make you see how so-called normal people base their reality on how they feel or what they like. I often notice how masses of people simply adopt a certain view without even thinking it through simply because "everybody else" says it's the current gospel. Someone stated emotions are like a cork bobbing up and down in the sea, totally controlled by the tide and no capacity to resist and float against the current.
Candid

Post by Candid »

Fulgurator wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:29 am So, just the basic rules of how to be polite, I had to learn them like a set rule. I never felt what the right thing to say should be. I don't handle intimacy or communicative empathy.
All of this fits my husband, except he hasn't learned the rules about politeness, intimacy or empathy. One of his favourite sayings is: "I'm not here to be liked."
so-called normal people base their reality on how they feel or what they like. I often notice how masses of people simply adopt a certain view without even thinking it through...
How can you possibly know that?? That we normies don't think things through or apply logic?
quietvoice

Post by quietvoice »

Candid wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:56 pmThat we normies don't think things through or apply logic?
Who you calling a Normie???!!!
No, Normies do not think things through or apply logic. Are you talking neurotypicals? Oh, okay.

Sorry, but today the Normie label is what is normally used to for the idiots who believe in the official narrative.
Fulgurator

Post by Fulgurator »

Neurotypical thinking is like a house made of matches. Each match depends upon the others. So, in normal people thoughts cannot exist without those thoughts being processed or acknowledged by others. So, for neurotypical people the normal way to form a view is by classrooms, groups, evaluations, approval or status. Autists can't process that way so the majority of autists languish in disability, lagging in education. However, minority autists such as Temple Grandin manage to strongly self educate which can lead to more individual points of view.
quietvoice

Post by quietvoice »

Fulgurator wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:00 pm So, in normal people thoughts cannot exist without those thoughts being processed or acknowledged by others.
Huh? I cannot have a thought all by myself when alone? You don't make any sense here.
Fulgurator

Post by Fulgurator »

To what degree are your thoughts unique to you? How have commonly held beliefs shaped those thoughts you have? For example, how would you be thinking, by yourself, if you'd been born and raised in, say, the Middle East? Or how about a different time period? What if you had been raised in mediaeval times? With autism these effects can be lessened due to the tendency to resist social programming and withdraw from the environment. Even in that case, there's some external influence on how you think. As to neurotypical, so often they just follow the current trend and seemingly don't question enough what others claim to be gospel. Religion is a good example. We just assume each religion is sacrosanct and somehow proven.
quietvoice

Post by quietvoice »

You did not stick with the topic, with the statement that you made and I questioned. No, like you normally do, you talk around it. Whatever.
Fulgurator

Post by Fulgurator »

How do you define "have a thought all by myself"? I'm probing a bit deeper. Do you view your thoughts as unique to yourself? For example, your views on vaccines. Did anyone else contribute to your view or what you read and so forth. Or was this some inner conviction that you'd still have had no matter what your background?
For something to chew on, try this:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D1e3XDxunOY
Fulgurator

Post by Fulgurator »

"So, in normal people thoughts cannot exist without those thoughts being processed or acknowledged by others."

In my view, "normal" people lose much of their self identity by dependence on the views and feelings of others and they view the truly autistic individual as "selfish". Even Asperger described his patients as selfish. They are often unsettled by those of us who don't think in ways that follow a familiar pattern. They view this as condescending and rude or a lack of respect.
You're supposed to follow some group, even anti vax or pro vax groups. Being in between rattles people.
I also offer a different possibility. If autists are selfish and self-obsessed, does being obsessed with others (the norm) qualify as superior? I found that my cat is far more self-focused than I am yet cats aren't inferior, just wired differently. Not social animals.