Mr Pickles

Psychology-related discussions or questions that don't fit neatly into any other forum.
Fulgurator

Re: Mr Pickles

Post by Fulgurator »

To be honest, I am inclined to do my bit to make it more pleasant here. I suppose I have been at least able to "liven things up" but somehow only so far as a series of bickering exchanges with the bellicoseTranquilla Vox. Seen it before, though, and wear the T-shirt. What happened on Uncommon happened on Asperclick (an Asperger Syndrome forum I used to be on). Well, Asperclick just degenerated from autism psychology to far right-wing rants, squabbles and people banned. At the end, there was one member who was so eerily weird I thought he could be even dangerous (said he was a prophet and ranted). So, they closed it down. It was too expensive to run with only 4 people left.
I think the reason these days is educational. I notice nobody takes books from libraries. On Facebook people hardly have anything to say. It's just "like this, like that" and find a friend. Psychology seems to have dropped in terms of quality with the ASD yardstick placing anyone a bit odd as autistic. That's frustrating as I had a tougher time than Temple Grandin and fear these days a lot of people won't get diagnosed.
Maybe you have some ideas? Maybe stuff like life philosophy and yoga? Relaxation.
Fulgurator

Post by Fulgurator »

The anti Semitism stuff annoys me, of course. I'm not Jewish myself but the way I see it terrorists kidnapped, raped and dismembered innocent civilians in Israel, for being a particular race. In Moscow terrorists opened fire on crowds of people, bombing some of them. So, I haven't figured why suddenly masses of people in America and the E.U. are ideologically siding with terrorists. To me, there's no justification for targeting civilians. Any racism is also dangerously misguided. Plantation owners claimed Africans were inferior and of course we have the same old stereotypes over Jewish people. Anyway, I guess my point is any country that suffers terrorism should be supported - support even tends to cool things down. Still, all in all, the global situation is pretty dire. A bit like the fall of classical civilisation that led to the Middle Ages.
Candid

Post by Candid »

Fulgurator wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:00 pm I am inclined to do my bit to make it more pleasant here.
I'm not too concerned about pleasantness but am uncomfortable with overt racism and gratuitous sneering at anyone who disagrees with me. Any ideology that excludes whole groups of people one hasn't met personally troubles me, but without a mix of opinions things soon get dull.

What's needed here is more people posting regularly so there's a mix of opinions and characters. I've been on more fora than I can remember but Uncommon was special to me because it ran hot a lot of the time. There was always something of interest.

I don't know how to bring more people in and I suspect that you, like me, are better able to express yourself in writing than face-to-face.

Perhaps you and I could compile a wish list and send it to 9monthquit. I'll go first:

1) a better, more inclusive name for the forum. Not one of the three people now posting is troubled with illicit drug use
2) members to receive an email alert to private messages
3) like post (and maybe report post) facility

Over to you!
Fulgurator

Post by Fulgurator »

Maybe the sort of Tibetan lifestyle philosophy I'm into would appeal to people. It's ancient knowledge with healing and sort of spiritual awareness. A lot of the elite psychologists claimed to have invented insight into the mind but platonists and pythagoreans got there first. I did notice Sue Ellen's psychiatrist in Dallas reflected that image - finding yourself and balance.
Fulgurator

Post by Fulgurator »

I don't like racism either. I was watching the Ali film last night and Ali himself had very close Jewish friends. He even gave donations to hollocaust survivors.
Fulgurator

Post by Fulgurator »

Been a bit busy the last three days building a rustic style bird box to see if I can even sell a few. My woodwork is pretty basic but you can still get by with screws and a handsaw. It looks not too bad so far. Very robust and solid but now needs a roof. I thought maybe aim it at starlings. I still fix up 1940s radios but the work is so hard-going I thought of a second line. I may give the first birdbox to a friend as a gift for her garden.
Candid

Post by Candid »

Wow, this is the first time I've caught up on the entirety of this thread and I'm sorry I was MIA for so long. The voice of reason certainly trumps the not-so-quiet voice that gets hysterical and dishes out insults to all comers.
Fulgurator wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:48 pm Plus, the narcissistic component. "I alone" can see what "they" are up to and my elite inner circle of "the informed". Those others are all idiots who can't see what I can see. And so on.
Definitely nailed quietvoice there!
Candid

Post by Candid »

Fulgurator wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:04 pm Q.V. doesn't see there's a problem in how she processes information, not with any process of evaluation but random assertions and a preferred hostile fantasy reality.
She's definitely changed. She had some peculiar notions on Uncommon but she wasn't alternately throwing insults around and demanding that people read what she loftily calls "my information". There's that repetitious weird foot-stamping rage that "you refuse to read the information I provide" followed by an all-American "damn".
My conclusion is that she's not quite well, if you know what I mean.
Candid

Post by Candid »

quietvoice wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 12:14 pm You are truly a disgusting person, David Banner. There is nothing good about you.
That, my former friend, is a disgusting thing to say.
Did you never learn to criticise the behaviour, not the person?
What are you doing on this forum when you feel such toxic contempt for its two other members?
You always had some eccentric ideas, but I would never have believed you could consider yourself The Sole Arbiter of Truth.
Get help, quietvoice. You've gone mad and apparently there's no one around you to have noticed.
Candid

Post by Candid »

Fulgurator wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 10:03 pm Been a bit busy the last three days building a rustic style bird box to see if I can even sell a few.
I happen to be in the market for one. If I PM you my email address would you send me a pic? Rustic style is right up my alley. I need to know dimensions, too.