I'm Back To Liven Things Up

Psychology-related discussions or questions that don't fit neatly into any other forum.
Fulgurator

I'm Back To Liven Things Up

Post by Fulgurator »

My main news is I recently discovered I love cats so have a 10 year old chartreux to share my time. Another development is some may recall I was studying Latin on the other forum. This somehow led me to esoteric philosophy and neo-platonism as well as ancient psychology and medicine. Ancient psychology is very different but surprisingly helpful. More so in the area of therapy. I always assumed Latin was mostly devoted to dry history and church essays but it so happens a lot of Greek material was translated, as well as from other languages. So, that's it. Mostly life is quiet and routine for me.
Candid

Re: I'm Back To Liven Things Up

Post by Candid »

"the other forum"? Is that DavidBanner, by any chance?
No matter. As you've observed, this forum is in dire need of livening up.
Fulgurator

Post by Fulgurator »

Yes, correct. As to your other point, I've noticed a decline in psychology overall. I was warching the Columbo episode called "Prescription Murder" and noticed how the man who played the psychiatrist dressed in a neat suit, had a secretary and a big consultation room. It was a serious profession and practice standards pretty high. Still, I did agree with whoever diagnosed Antony Hopkins with mild Asperger's. I had been skeptical till I found out Hopkins had struggled hugely at school. I think he had family connection issues too with not much contact.
Candid

Post by Candid »

Haha... H and I like to revisit old favourites and had a major Columbo blitz last year.
Now we've taken to Roseanne. She really is awful. My favourite episode is when she and Dan rediscover some pot they'd hidden long ago.
But to your point: I think psychiatrists wear whatever's comfortable. I've seen at least a dozen over the years and only one of them wore a suit. Mind you, he was the first, so maybe you're right that the dress code has changed.
Fulgurator

Post by Fulgurator »

There was Sue Ellen's psychiatrist in Dallas, Dr. Simon Elby. Funny thing is he had been in "The Silent Flute" with David Carradine as a kind of zen philosopher and that reflected in his approach to Sue Ellen in Dallas. Now it seems I too strayed into esoteric teachings, such as ideas from Jiddu Krishnanurti and Elena Blavatskiy. Psychology is strong on diagnosis and definition but poor on therapy.
quietvoice

Post by quietvoice »

Candid wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:36 pm Is that DavidBanner, by any chance?
Oh, dear. Have fun, Candid.
Candid

Post by Candid »

It IS the same person. I don't know whether you two ever connected.
Fulgurator

Post by Fulgurator »

Yes, I recall Quiet Voice. She used to clash with Richard of decision making fame. I suppose it would be "vox quieta" in Latin.
quietvoice

Post by quietvoice »

Candid wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:55 am It IS the same person. I don't know whether you two ever connected.
He's a waste of my time. The answer is, Yes.
Fulgurator

Post by Fulgurator »

Never quite the same. According to Heraclitis you can't step twice into the same river because time changes everything and every person. So the Candid of two years ago won't be the same as the Candid of today. I also changed quite a bit from the time of Uncommon. Having read lots of psychology I now read lots of ancient philosophy, in Latin as that way it's more authentic. A good intro is to watch the film The Silent Flute.