Plato And Psychology

Psychology-related discussions or questions that don't fit neatly into any other forum.
Fulgurator

Plato And Psychology

Post by Fulgurator »

"Malitiam vero deterrimi et omnibus vitiis inbuti hominis ducebat esse; quod accidere censebat, cum optima et rationabilis portio et quae etiam imperitare ceteris debet, servit aliis.... "

As mentioned, I got seriously into Latin and then found the study of psychology was familiar to the ancient world. So, above, it states that being essentially a bad person is a result of ignorance and when logic and reason comes to dominate the functioning of the mind, we become ethical and "good".
This agrees in fact with Hans Asperger's assertion that those autistic children he treated, who demonstrated higher intellect went on to attain success in some area of special interest. Not all autists have that success but Temple Grandin would be one example. She was very autistic at school but, with therapy and support, she now has a doctorate.
Note, the Latin text above states that logic and reason must dominate the whole psyche, not serve the baser instincts, as we see in high I.Q. criminals or politicians.
I would agree from experience the theory is correct. Autism in childhood impacted on my behaviour and awareness of ethical values but, in later years, I compensated by relying more on intellect than social conditioning. I would add too most wars, crime, conflict is a consequence of ignorance and being led by greed, ego and so forth.
Candid

Re: Plato And Psychology

Post by Candid »

I see caput is a latin word. Does it mean the same as kaput in modern parlance?

That's interesting stuff about aspergers 'sufferers' having special gifts. H (another aspie) has a phenomenal memory and is great at maths. He'll say to me it's simple, this is what you do... and I know I need pen and paper to work it out. His ability to make plans I consider complicated (if not impossible) is little short of fantastic. Unfortunately his capacity to do so many things more efficiently than anyone else means many calls on his time, a lot of them from people who only show up when they need his services. I get it that he's 'difficult'. He could never hold a job for long.

Nobody can live with either of us, apparently, and we've lived several times, always at my behest. Finally we found the solution: separate homes in the same area. Now we can see each other every day without him blowing my head up.

I wonder whether there've been any studies on aspies' effects on their partners. I can see it's made me lazy in some ways, because he can do so many things better and more efficiently than I can.

We saw a bio of Temple Grandin some years ago. Could be good to see it again sometime.
Fulgurator

Post by Fulgurator »

I met someone today who "might" have Aspergers. From Canada. He seemed a bit child-like but his motor skills were pretty bad. He couldn't seem to figure out that to draw a gate bolt shut, the two gates need to be in line first. He seemed helpless to solve it. Very rarely do I meet people with that syndrome. Yes, I have it myself but as a part of other neurological issues. Recently Antony Hopkins was diagnosed as having it mildly - he was unteachable at school and considered to be thick. Clearly his music talent and interest in drama compensated enough not to hold him all the way back.
Fulgurator

Post by Fulgurator »

"I see caput is a latin word. Does it mean the same as kaput in modern parlance?"

Caput means "head". Latin is also a very difficult language to learn but there are a few things I should point out:
There are texts to read in Latin much better than the stuff institutions forced on students for decades. There's a lot of pagan writing on the paranormal or psychic phenomena and spiritual world I found fascinating. Also, some non-Romans used Latin, or translated other ancient texts to it. I'm a great believer in psychic and paranormal experience and 2000 years ago, pagan cultures had a deeper connection to the natural world than we do. Still, the language is hard to crack. When the Roman world fell, the education system wasn't developed enough to keep the language in common use. So, communities simplified Latin and vulgar languages appeared, like Spanish. Future generations lost a lot of knowledge, medicine, psychology and occult knowledge.