Effects Of Social Media On I.Q. (worrying)

Psychology-related discussions or questions that don't fit neatly into any other forum.
Fulgurator

Effects Of Social Media On I.Q. (worrying)

Post by Fulgurator »

I noticed a definite decline in the population, with the physical and psychological aspects both affected. Psychologically, it's a lack of "curiosity" and a passive, sluggish contentment to just exist and, of course, shun imagined dangers (hypochondria is rife). On the large sites like Facebook, those who post comments seldom go beyond a couple of sentences - all of it shallow and mundane. It would be hard to imagine someone taking up T.M., learning piano, a language or something that goes beyond work and shopping.
What on earth has happened to people? It's totally like H.G. Wells Time Machine where the population has no vitality or sense of survival. Physically you also see the same decline - the younger generation skinny, and the bulk of people vastly overweight due to lack of activity.
It seems one top Indian psychologist agrees with me and that the government met to discuss her report. The theory is the internet reduces the evolutionary stimulus to think and solve problems for yourself, as opposed to just using Google for quick and ready answers. So, the brain processes far less and relies on internet use, becoming far less active. The same applies to how cars and buses cause us to walk less, so get fatter and sluggish. I think now, in fact, governments have accepted there's a problem.
Put bluntly, evolution is inescapable. Once we lose essential instincts such as risk and challenge, we will die off.
Fulgurator

Re: Effects Of Social Media On I.Q. (worrying)

Post by Fulgurator »

After a few years facebook social networking, people I recall as active and curious seem to have turned into passive, sluggish vegetables. Getting more than five words out of them is a struggle - where years ago they were full of wit and drive. In terms of physics, parallel, resonant networks affect one another and we should recall the collective brain is a resonant, electro-biological organ and processes alpha and other waves. Did scientists ever consider how global internet could have unpredictable consequences?
For sure, something has gone wrong.
Candid

Post by Candid »

I think Mr Gates has it well in hand.
Fulgurator

Post by Fulgurator »

Gates like most assumed an information network in parallel with the global, collective brain would "double" that potential. Yet, to take a simple comparison: Buses, elevators, cars, electric skooters and remotes have "weakened" people physically. We use our muscles far less. So, the 1950s generation was fitter and stronger. Same with social media.
You don't get any thought-out answers on the Facebook forums. Any idiot can "like" something. Technically it's been called infantalising of the brain where the response to information is at the child instinctive level. To buck the trend wecneed to exercise sensibly and use the grey matter.