The Uncommon thread

Nothing too heavy in here - community announcements, chit chat, silly stuff and other distractions to lighten your day.
Candid

The Uncommon thread

Post by Candid »

Who do you remember from the Uncommon Forum? Who did you like, who did you steer clear of... and who made a strong impression on you?

I was a member from October 2010 to its closure in March 2022. I liked most of the regular members but steered clear of ellla (yes, three Ls :roll:)

Lots of people made a strong impression. I'll start with theforsaken because he's posted here a few times but has now become a family man and has more calls on his time. I hope he's okay; he had at least one unwanted, unnecessary and DANGEROUS injection because, in Australia, he couldn't go anywhere or do anything without it.

American Richard@DecisionSkills stood out, not only for the sheer number of his posts but for their quality, too.

Then there was poor beleagured desperate788 from Turkey. Nothing ever went right for him. Actually that's not quite true. His earlier posts were lucid and more upbeat; it seemed he deteriorated when he lost his job and went to work in the Istanbul tax office. It must have been a doddle, because he was on the forum all day every day. He signed up here as Summer_wine, got two replies, then disappeared. One way I'm sorry, because he would at least have bumped up the abysmal post count here, but then again naaaah. He was exhausting.
Candid

Re: The Uncommon thread

Post by Candid »

How about sakoz, who took pride in the unwieldiness of his many thread titles and liked to tell everyone who replied that they were too stupid to understand his profundity? He had in tow one Julius Fawcett, an all-round nice guy who put a "like" on every one of sakoz's posts. When Steve Sakoz got banned, Julius left the forum as well. Hmm.

Then there was jurplesman (Jurriaan Plesman), who had a thing about hypoglycemia. No matter what anyone's trouble was, his answer was the hypoglycemic diet. He was generous and well-intentioned... and annoying, because he wrote brief dismissive posts with umpteen links to dietary advice on every one of them. I was appalled when he replied to girlnextdoor's horrific sole post with his standard reply. He was in Australia, so he got to it hours sooner than I possibly could in England.

I was one of the few who always replied to threads by Jason Coles of Northern Ireland... once I recognised them, because Jason returned with a new username (Capt Yossarian was one of them) every time he got banned. As luck would have it, Our Richard reported it every time, and Jason would be banned again. I sensed real pain behind Jason's ... unpleasantness, shall we say. He committed suicide in February 2021.